St Saviour’s Church, Pimlico
The kentish ragstone church takes up a prominent position at the north end of St Georges Square. It forms a focal point of Thomas Cubitt’s plan for the development of the 1st Duke of Westminster’s estate west of Vauxhall Bridge Road, linking views down Belgrave Road with those towards the River Thames. The building of the church was funded directly by the Duke and built to a design by Thomas Cundy junior, his chief surveyor. It is similar in appearance to nearby St Gabriel, also by Cundy, but being built a decade later, 1863-4, it has a loftier and tighter decorated gothic style. The combination of tower and spire, just short of 52m, was one of the tallest in London at the time it was constructed.
The interior of St Saviours was significantly restored in the 1880’s and saw the removal of the aisle galleries and the addition of much decoration to the chancel, including a finely painted arched ceiling. Further decorative elements were added in the early 20th century and most prominently the rood screen.
Le Lay Architects, through the appointment of Quinquennial Inspector, have been advising on maintenance, repair and reordering of the grade II listed Victorian church for many years. This work has included the installation of telecommunication equipment in the tower, providing the church with much needed revenue. More recently a major repair project to recover the nave roof was undertaken. The rediscovery of the original poly-chromatic Welsh slate design has raised the profile and interest in the church. Le Lay architects have supported the parishioners through faculty and grant funding applications.