Private House in West London
This beautiful townhouse was once occupied by the great-grandfather of one of the practice directors. The House is designed as a paired villa in the Italianate style with a fully stuccoed façade. Originally built to extend the speculative development in 1858 by Lord Kensington and builder Samuel Johns. The design was most likely provided by Lord Kensington’s surveyor Martin Joseph Stutely. In the early part of the 20th century, an artist’s studio in the domestic Arts and Crafts style was built in the rear section of the Garden and still exists today.
The current owner loved the house but wanted a modern open-plan family room with large doors opening onto the garden. We remodeled the basement to allow a clear flow of space all the way from the front of the house to the rear, flooding the basement with natural light and a sense of openness.