The Old Forge, Petersham, Surrey
An extremely popular development of a brownfield site, creating five new residential properties, refurbishment of a 17th century cottage and providing 140m² of commercial space. The development was the winner of the Daily Mail Four Star Award for Best Development in Surrey in 2006.
The site has an interesting history, a pair of Grade II lodge houses once owned by the Earl of Dysart and dated around 1750, form an entrance to one of the stable yards that served Montrose House to the North. By 1933, the site was used as a garage and coach works and over time fell into disrepair. We quickly realised that the site and immediate community could be better served by a new mixed development with houses and small scale light commercial space.
A well designed and sensitive architectural response was considered paramount by Richmond planning department, while balancing the need to retain commercial space and the setting of the listed buildings. The site went on to feature as an exemplary model for back-land and mews development throughout Richmond and is included in their adopted Supplementary Planning Document.